Top 10 Things to Consider When Ordering Tape
Packing tape may not be given much thought compared to other aspects of your packaging.
A Secure Seal is Critical
Maybe it’s time to rethink that because a secure seal that keeps cartons closed as they move through your distribution network is a critical element of quality and customer satisfaction.
If you want to make sure you choose the right tape, here are 10 things to consider:
- Does your tape quickly stick to corrugated products?
- Does the bond hold as required for the appropriate length of time?
- Does the tape unwind easily for efficient production?
- Is the tape strong enough to resist pressure, nicks, and abrasions?
- Does the grade of the tape you have chosen correctly balance cost and quality?
- Are there any temperature considerations you need to take into account?
- Does the tape work well with your application method, whether it is manual or automated?
- Will your materials be shipping as a single parcel where there is little control of external forces?
- Are your cartons made from recycled materials, which can affect the packaging tape’s ability to hold a secure seal?
- How much weight will you have in the carton?
Tape is one of those components we don’t think much about, but poor performance in this area can impact customer satisfaction and result in damaged product.
This information came from Shurtape’s Packaging Tape 101. For a copy, contact your Athens representative.